Milestones of MUST


1927

Pre-Commonwealth Act No. 3377 known as the Vocational Act of 1927 established Misamis Oriental Trade School (MOTS) operating at the elementary level. In 1936, the intermediate program was replaced with the four-year secondary trade program.

1952

Republic Act No. 672 converted MOTS into the Mindanano School of Arts and Trades (MSAT) offering two-year trade technical education. In 1970, Republic Act of 3959 authorized the offering of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education and the Evening Opportunity Programs.

1978

Presidential Decree 1431 converted MSAT to Don Mariano Marcos Memorial Polytechnic State College (DMMMPSC) with the mission “to provide quality relevant and trained human resources and to promote research supportive to the industrialization of Northern Mindanao.”

1991

Republic Act No. 7102 renamed DMMMPSC to Mindanao Polytechnic State College (MPSC) with the addition of the third function of the college – extension services – in the original mission.

2009

Republic Act No. 9519 converts MPSC to Mindanao University of Science and Technology (MUST) with the mandate: “shall provide advanced education, higher technological, professional instruction and advanced instruction in mathematics, science, technology, engineering, and advanced research and extension work in human resource development in critical skills and competencies required for global competitiveness.”